President Theodore Roosevelt High School opened on September 1, 1932. Parents demanded a standardized English-speaking high school be added to the already existing English standard Lincoln elementary school. English speech training as well as a more desirable social standard, could only be found at private schools. The President Theodore Roosevelt High School was established in 1930 at its temporary site, the Territorial Normal School, which trained elementary school teachers for the public schools. This site later became Stevenson Intermediate School in 1937, to alleviate the 1750+ students enrolled at Roosevelt High School. While Roosevelt High School was being constructed at the Nehoa Street site, grades seven, eight, and nine were moved to Lincoln, and added to the sophomore and junior classes to create the first student body. The school's official dedication was on October 27, 1932 on the front patio. The first graduation class was in 1933, with 52 students.
'Tis with hearts full of pride, dear Alma Mater,
We rise and sing to thee
And pledge to keep thy colors high
Through all the years to be.
To thy name we promise to be loyal,
Ever faithful, ever true;
Roosevelt, to thee our song shall be--
All Hail! Hail! Hail!
Lyrics: Nell B. Elder, RHS English Teacher
Music: William Merrick, RHS First Band and Orchestra Leader